Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cooking on the fly

Today, I was driving home from my parents' house and smelled the intoxicating scent of grilling burgers.  I know, I know, vegans aren't supposed to think burgers smell good.  But I do.  I was thinking about grilling a little myself when I got home, but the lone freezer-burned boca waiting for me left me feeling a little cold.  Then I got to thinking "hmm, I had those red kidney beans for lunch and there are a few left...could I make a burger out of those?"  Well, I figured I had to give it a try.

Now, let me be honest, I am not a very accomplished "made from scratch" cooker.  I would rather eat things that have only a couple of ingredients.  I make stirfrys, soups, and salads like whoa, but I've never gotten around to making a lentil loaf or homemade seitan or anything like that.  I figured my craving was a sign that it was high time for me to try and make my first veggie burger.

So, when I got home, I dumped the rest of the red kidney beans (about half a can) into the food processor.  I topped that with a one-ounce pack of salted peanuts, a clove of garlic, 2 purple cherry tomatoes from yesterday's CSA box, and maybe a third cup of quick oats.  I shook in a little rendezvous spicy BBQ rub and seasoned salt, and let 'er rip!  It mixed up pretty well, but it was a little sticky (what should I have done or added?).  So instead of grilling it, I fried it up in a pan with a little olive oil. 

Let me say, it wasn't super buger-ish, but it was amazing.  The beans and nuts and just a little spicy...mmm!  I will definitely try this again, but maybe I'll take a peek at a recipe first!  Do you have a favorite veggie burger recipe you'd like to share?

1 comment: