Sunday, August 15, 2010

Going hungry

If my goal is to illustrate that a vegan can adapt and find suitable eats even in a part of the country where no one understands the word "vegan," then I will call yesterday a massive failure.  I went to a lovely outdoor music festival at a venue nearby in Iowa.  The show was awesome - Flobots, Spose, Cage the Elephant, Weezer (among others) - but I knew eating would be an issue.  So I just didn't.  Ugh.  Almost 8 hours outside with nothing to eat.  I did have some delicious, refreshing lemonade, but my food options were very limited.  A pickle at one place, french fries or chips at another...I could have had a veggie pita without cheese or sauce, but that sounded messy and bland.  I justified it to myself by thinking, "who wants greasy pizza when it's so hot out, anyway?" but the truth is that it was really frustrating not to have any real options.  And of course we couldn't bring food in.  I would like to think that they would be understanding if a person had dietary restrictions, but I happened to be next to a diabetic woman at one point and she said she wasn't even allowed to bring food in.  So very frustrating. 

I had a fun time anyway -- the lemonade sustained me and was quite yummy, and I wasn't famished even after the show - I ate a big lunch knowing I wouldn't probably be able to eat much at the venue.  Still, though, this is just one more thing that needs to change.  Vegans should have the option to be robbed blind by vendors in exchange for mediocre food, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment